Monday, July 21, 2008

Busy Weekend

We traveled to our cabin on Thursday and came home yesterday. Right away I noticed that my birdbath was missing it's top. I do not know what did it but the middle of the garden was flattened.



Then I noticed that our groundhog was back. It has lived under the cabin since the slab was poured in 1984. Well, it and it's decendents. It also has holes in the garden and who knows where else. It was out of luck last month as a mama fox took over the hole under the house. She is still around, but has moved to another location. Here is the back door of the hole. You can see the dirt tossed up around the bottom of the house wrap.



And here is the front entrance.



When hubby went to mow he noticed this large dead tree that had lost a big limb.



We have two surviving baby trees. I don't know what one is but this one is a Tulip Poplar. The trees really need to be watered more regularly than we can when first transplanted.



Hubby cut down some more brush this weekend. Can you believe the size of the leaves and thorns on this Greenbrier? The thorns are nearly an inch long!



While hubby was cutting brush I filled in some of the anklebreaker holes. They are the holes left by the roots of the little trees when the lot was bulldozed. The holes are impossible to see but just the right size for a foot to slip into and twist or break an ankle. I mark them with a white stick when I find them so I can find them again to fill them in.



I walked back to the far section of the lot and realized I had not posted the picture of the new chain. It shows up much better than the old one. We replaced it over the 4th of July weekend.



The Osage Orange fruits are just starting to drop. They are the size of an orange and have a citrusy odor but are not good for much. The trees are very tall and if one of the fruits hits you in the head you will feel it! No picture yet, but maybe after a few more fall.

We have a few evergreen trees that we kept. They are all the children of this tree. From this angle it does not even look much like an evergreen.



We have several Redbud trees. This little one used to be in the brush line but we rescued it. It was covered with brambles and vines. It seems to be happy and is covered with seed pods. I would like to grow a few more.



I saw a lot of critters this time. There were some baby Mockingbirds with Mom Mockingbird watching over them. Lots of Robins. They kept getting too close to the baby mockingbirds and Mom Mockingbird kept chasing them away. I did not want to upset her so did not try to get a picture of the babies.

There were a lot of toads out, especially in the morning. Being near the river we have dense fog most mornings which makes the grass wet. That brings out the toads. Here is a picture of one rather large fellow.



I had intended to pull some grass out of the garden, but it was all flat where most of the grass was so I left it for now. There are a lot of flowers blooming.



The Purple Coneflowers and the Milkweed are almost the same color.





I wish I knew the name of these berries. I have been told by several people that they are poisonous and have only seen a Brown Thrasher with one in it's beak. They are quite pretty. If you know what they are, please tell me. They grow on a bush that gets to be about twelve feet high. No thorns. This is one of the few plants we have without thorns.



Last I had the time to read two books. Adventures In Nature by Edwin Way Teale. Amazon did not have a cover photo so i uploaded the cover of mine. I wonder if they will approve it? This is a nice book but I would advise getting it through interlibrary loan if you wish to read it.



The second book I read was Insect Potpourri: Adventures In Entomology edited by Jean Adams. I wanted to read this one especially as my father has an article in it. In Chapter Four: Insects Around The House he wrote the article War And Peace in Wardrobe And Pantry by J. Richard Gorham.



Again, even though Amazon lists the price on this book as $84.95 you are better off getting it through interlibrary loan.

3 comments:

Northern Shade said...

What a wonderful spot, with all of the wildlife enjoying your meadow habitat near the river. I liked the toad in the grass shot.

Barbee' said...

You have a lovely place there. So interesting about your father's chapter in the book!

Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

I've been sampling your mystery berries. I'd believed they were a southern cranberry... On searching google, I've had to abandon that belief... but still believe they are in the viburnum family.