Thursday, August 28, 2008

Monarch Butterfly, Danaus plexippus

My garden is a success! I have Monarch caterpillars!

The poor milkweed in the picture was all bent over by whatever has been sleeping in the garden. I pounded in a metal fence post and tied it up with some strips off an old towel.



The caterpillars are happily munching away. I was surprised that the plant still has so many leaves.



I spent a lot of time watching them.



They grow fast and then the biggest ones just disappear. I read they look for a spot away from the milkweed to climb and make their chrysallis.


This one is eating a seedpod. I am curious about that. If the seedpods get eaten then they cannot produce seeds which means fewer plants for the caterpillars to feed on.

I will be adding more pictures to this post and keeping it strictly on the topic of Monarch Butterflies.




2 comments:

Gardens-In-The-Sand said...

Congrats on the cats! my butterfly-weeds are full of milkweed bugs.

Barbee' said...

Aren't they wonderful! I am happy for you :)