Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chocolate Cake Day, January 27th



My son gave me this neat brownie pan for Christmas. It is called the Create N Celebrate Perfect Brownie baking pan by Lifetime brands.

Today was chocolate cake day. For me brownies are the ultimate chocolate cake. This time I even frosted them!

Here is the recipe I used:

Chocolate Fudge Brownies

1/2 c. applesauce (my own, made by me from real apples!)
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs (I used powdered eggs)
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. Hershey's cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray brownie pan (will also work in a conventional square pan)
In large mixing bowl blend applesauce, sugar and vanilla.
Add eggs, using spoon, beat well.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually blend into egg mixture.

Spoon into prepared pan.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
Cool, frost with Frosting. Or frost the first one warm and let the frosting melt! Gooey and good!

Frosting
6 tbs. margarine, softened
6 tbs. Hershey's cocoa
3 tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. confectioners' sugar
1 tbs. milk (I used powdered milk)

In medium bowl cream margarine, cocoa, honey and vanilla.
Add confectioners' sugar and milk and mix well.

I set the bowl of frosting beside the brownies so each person could frost their own with as much or as little as they wished. The frosting amount is generous.

No comments: