Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Wild Strawberry Project


Click on the image in the sidebar to be taken here for updates to the Wild Strawberry Project. Scroll down to see updates in this post and further down to see the FAQ.

FAQ:

What is the Wild Strawberry Project?
I am attempting to naturalize the wild strawberry on my six acres of land in West Virginia.

How can you help?
When the wild strawberries come into season you can help by saving me one berry. Squash it on a paper plate or paper towel or coffee filter, etc. and let it dry and then mail the dried strawberry to me. Make sure you protect surfaces from the juice of the berry when you squish it. I will plant it and let it grow in my WV garden. Eventually the birds will eat the wild strawberries and spread the seed. It will be fun finding new plants in unexpected places.

Can I send anything else?
I would love violets! They would probably need to be sent in a damp paper towel inside a ziploc bag.

Will you reimburse my postage?
I am not able to reimburse postage at this time. This is strictly a goodwill effort on your part. I will keep all your addresses and can email you a choice of seeds as I harvest. I am planting a good number of different tomatoes this year and there may be one or two you would like.

1 comment:

Barbee' said...

I hope no one mistakenly sends you one of those old Mock Strawberries that aren't good to eat, and they have yellow blooms. If it gets started on your place, you will never be able to get rid of it. I have never tasted the true wild strawberries, but I have heard of them and heard they are delicious. I hope you are successful with your project. That is such a great idea. Wish I had some to send to you. All I have are those old mock ones.