Friday, April 10, 2009

Oh, Deer!

See the pretty yellow daffodils all in a row?



Wait! Why is there a bud lying loose on the ground?



And what happened to the tips of these leaves? Daffodil leaves are not squared off at the top!



It has been a mystery to me as the daffodils have been there for 25 years unmolested till this year. Finally I solved the mystery by seeing what was happening with my own eyes. Unfortunately the culprits bolted before I could take their picture.
There were two deer working their way down the row pruning the daffodils! One of them was content to bite off the ends of the leaves. She did not eat them, just bit them off and tossed them aside. The second deer was picking the buds. Again, not eating them, just nipping them off and tossing aside. Over and over and over again.
I am confused. I can see trying them and not liking the taste and moving on. It is doing it over and over and over again that I do not understand.

I was glad to solve the mystery.

1 comment:

Barbee' said...

Daffodils are poisonous so I suspect they do not taste good. Hopefully your visitors will learn these are not good to eat and will stop the damage. Good luck.